2009/9/21 Anthony <o...@inbox.org>:
> I reread the question and realize I didn't answer it.  U-turn laws vary
> greatly by jurisdiction.  Here in Florida you are allowed to U-turn on any
> road which isn't separated by a barrier or painted median, unless it is
> unsafe to do so or doing so obstructs other traffic.  But that is extremely
> jurisdiction specific.

U-turns are a turning issue, maybe they're legal in one place, maybe
they aren't in another these things should be mapped some how but this
is getting off track.

> In general, the more important question than whether or not you can U-turn
> is whether or not you can cross the center line in order to make a left
> (right if you drive on the other side) turn.  I believe the law in most US
> jurisdictions is that this is allowed when physically possible unless there
> is a painted median (double double yellow lines), traffic cones, etc.  In
> the case of a painted median (double double yellow lines), if this is
> represented as a single way, that is incorrect and should be fixed.  In the
> US, there is probably a lot of this, because we imported so much from Tiger,
> which represents pretty much everything except major highways as single ways
> (and is a significant area needing cleanup).  Outside the US, I just don't
> know the laws.

Assumptions are dangerous things, I suppose this is why so many
tourists have accidents because they assume the whole world is just
like where they are from.

> Even if there is a concrete barrier or other form of barrier that would
> prevent a car crossing?  Why are bridges different?

Usually because bridges narrow things to make it cheaper to cross a
river etc, however my point still stands a way is a physical thing, if
there is only one physical thing then that's all that should be mapped
and lanes should be tagged independently of the way.