John Smith writes:
 > verifiable, if I go to ny county, ny, us I won't know the difference
 > to the adjcent county etc, we're not supposed to embed symbol
 > information for the renderer and this is exactly what you are
 > suggesting we do.

I agree.  You wouldn't.  However, everybody else would look at OSM and
see the New York State county route shield.  "Oops, this other county
route lacks the shield.  Hmmmm.... what's the difference?  Ahhhh, I
see!  This other one needs network=us_ny_ny_co."

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-323-1241
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog