On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 5:54 AM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/9/21 Liz <ed...@billiau.net>:
>> On Mon, 21 Sep 2009, Apollinaris Schoell wrote:
>>> US is meant for US highway http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Highways
>>> They uses signs with US printed on it. So the symbol needs the same
>>> which is different from US interstates where only a capital I is
>>> printed on the shield
>> Ok, that would make sense, better than here where we have apparently random
>> letter combinations on shields which don't occur on the signs at all
>> eg NR  NH  S
>> with a numeral which does appear on the highway marker
>
> I don't recall seeing I and US on signs in the US, although it might
> have been the case where I've been.

Oh, signs are cool.

US Routes.  (the "US" is invisible on modern signs, but often spoken
as "Take US-23 south to Marion Ohio" or "Take Hugh-Ass
Twanny-thraaaaay sah-owth tah Marion Ohio.")
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_shield

Here is a large collection of Interstate, US Route and some other
shields.  This hints at the diversity of shields.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_auxiliary_Interstate_Highways

As an indication of scope, here is a list of State highways in New
York, just one densely populated state of fifty.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_State_Routes_in_New_York

Putnam county is one of sixty-two counties in New York state.  Here is
a list of their county roads. Putnam uses a common "default" county
shield.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_county_roads_in_Putnam_County,_New_York

Here you can see a few of the non-default county road shields used in
some states.  Similar defaults and special county road shields are
used in Canada as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_highway

I've been operating under the presumption that incremental
improvements of shield branding across North America would be a good
thing.  So if initially all county roads show a default county shield
until the custom, local county shield is included, I think that is an
improvement over the generic UK shield.  Thus a tag that supports the
beauty of increasingly specific categories leading ultimately to the
right shield.

Now everything I know about Australian highways I learned from Mel
Gibson in _The Road Warrior_ so I have much to learn.  What is the
shield landscape like in Australia?

Relying on polygons for countries / states / counties may encourage
both proper ref tagging, and including the right shield graphic.
Having the correct polygon is a benefit however we get folks to
provide them.

Some highways have historic or other cultural weight that earns
special signs that may resist selection by polygon. How do polygons
help with the special cases like Route 66 and Santa Fe Trail?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Fe_Trail
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_66

Are there special case shields in Australia that you are able to
address with boundary polygons and postgres?

Best regards,
Richard