On 20 Sep 2009, at 20:20 , John Smith wrote:

> 2009/9/21 Apollinaris Schoell <ascho...@gmail.com>:
>
>> you shouldn't use well established tags in the wrong way.
>> us_ny_ny_co is not
>> a  network name. the network is I, US, ....
>
> The US but is redundant, we just need to know what shield type, not
> where it is located since there is a country polygon that already
> points this out.

US is meant for US highway http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Highways
They uses signs with US printed on it. So the symbol needs the same
which is different from US interstates where only a capital I is
printed on the shield

> If there is special shields needed on a per state or per county basis
> they need to be dealt with in other ways, just like they should be on
> a per country basis, you shouldn't have to add this information to
> ways otherwise we might as well tag every single node, way, area etc
> with is_in tags too, again is_in is redundant because we can derive
> this information easily by other means.

yes shields are very different between states and county shields are
different again. Even the US shields are not consistent in whole US.
If the info is derived from state/county polygons that would be
awesome and avoid tagging for the renderer.

>>  network is useful for routing applications too and should be used
>> as signed
>> in reality.
>> If we need a tag for mapnik rendering call it mapnik:<something> or
>> shildsymbolizersomething ....
>
> If you need to tag for mapnik, mapnik is broken and needs to be fixed
> you should never need to tag for it.

1+
but osm sometimes follows the simple and easy path to get things done.
So I am not against a hacked solution as long as it doesn't break any
established use.