> I don't recall seeing I and US on signs in the US, although it might
> have been the case where I've been.

Verified on the way to work today. Even this is not consistent. Some shields
have some don't. At least in california.
the large overhead signs have only the number but the signs along the
highway have it. maybe these are older designs which haven't been replaced.

But it doesn't really matter for a map rendering. Even google maps uses the
same shield across US. State HW shields are completely different than on the
signs. they don't render county HW shields at all. Yahoo renders the county
ref numbers but no special shields. Garmin maps are same as google maps.

If someone can come up with a workable solution it's fine. I won't spend
much time on it it's not really worth all the effort to make it work on a
global scale. Doing it for country maps is a different story and can be done
on local servers.