2009/9/21 Andy Allan <gravityst...@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Richard Weait <rich...@weait.com> wrote:
>> I've been operating under the presumption that incremental
>> improvements of shield branding across North America would be a good
>> thing.  So if initially all county roads show a default county shield
>> until the custom, local county shield is included, I think that is an
>> improvement over the generic UK shield.
>
> I don't know where you get the idea that a) there is a "UK shield" or
> b) that the mapnik layer is using one. Road references are being shown
> with a rectangle with heavily rounded corners, which AFAIK is not the
> shape of a "shield" in any country, especially not the UK.
>
> Now as for the discussion over whether it's preferable to show road
> numbers superimposed on specific funny shapes on the map, that's one
> I'll leave for cartographers to decide; personally I think it looks
> naff but that doesn't stop other people from doing so.

Indeed. I remember this discussion coming up a year or two ago when
talking about the colouring of roads in the default Mapnik renderer.
Some people wanted each country's roads to be rendered in the style
(colouring etc.) that the locals in that country typically display it
(cueing discussions about how to transition at country boundaries).
However, it was argued (and mostly agreed upon) that we don't want
that. If an American wants to create an American-style map with the
whole world coloured their way, then that's fine. Likewise for a
German or British coloured map. Each map rendering should be uniform
across the world and we should avoid having geographically localised
differentiated rendering schemes within one map. This is of course
just general advice and means nothing about what you do with your own
home-grown renderings. The default Mapnik map, however should remain
homogeneous.

I realise that differently styles road shields are different to
rainbow roads but it's worth keeping in mind.

--
Matt Williams
http://milliams.com