On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 12:20 AM, Anthony <o...@inbox.org> wrote:

> A bridge should probably have its
> own geometry.  And if a bridge has its own geometry (polygon or line and
> width) and a layer tag you don't even need the relation, do you?  Anything
> in the area of the bridge with the same layer is located on the bridge.

I like the idea.

BUT I shouldn't have to measure the bridge to be able to indicate that
a section of way(s) goes over a bridge.

Using an area to mark a bridge in this way should be *optional*, in
the same was as a POI can be marked as a node or an area. Therefore, a
"bridge" relation would still be useful to indicate that multiple ways
share a bridge, for when the bridge geometry is unknown.