Roy Wallace wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 11:15 PM, Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Can I check? Are there people here who are suggesting that, in my case,
>>> they want to draw all four ways (yes, I know the footpath hasn't been
>>> mapped yet) as  a single way & specify the differences with lane tags?
>> Camp one is - single way with lanes=4 + bridge section
>> Camp two would prefer all elements mapped in which case the bridge WOULD
>> be a separate element.
>
> Camp three: multiple ways representing paths of travel, grouped with a
> "bridge" relation to indicate they share a common bridge. This could
> probably be seen as a compromise, and is (I think) a good interim
> solution, if not a very-long-term solution.

That is simply camp two ...
The bridge relation would have to have a physical presence at some point!

The point I am trying to make is that the two camps HAVE to co-exist.
What we are looking for is a way to 'rough in' the data, and provide a
macro level view of things, and then add the NECESSARY detail below that
so that micro mapping can simply be added to the macro model.

If that means a half way house of detailing the fine content of a way by
splitting into multiple tracks, then the 'holder' for the bridge slots
in to that model and can be expanded in detail later.

At some point it WILL become necessary to create elements like bridges
as 'paintings' with accurate graphic detail, but the higher level view
only needs the single way with a bridge flag - and there is no reason
that could not be provided as a tag on a single macro level view of the
way? At the macro level THAT makes sense, while once one breaks a way
down into it's component tracks, a tag on that view may be of more
advantage to fine detail routing, while a separate bridge element makes
more sense for rendering in the smaller scales?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL