On 24 Sep 2009, at 09:04, John Smith wrote:

2009/9/24 Ed Loach <e...@loach.me.uk>:
We?

The talk-au list

Anyway, you all seem to have missed source=User Defined on map

It also says on the map features page:

You can use any tags you like as long as the values are verifiable.
However, there is a benefit in agreeing to a recommended set of
features and corresponding tags in order to create, interpret and
display a common basemap.

source=survey is one such tag in the recommended set of features,
source=GPS isn't documented on the map features page nor on the
Key:source page.

It does not matter if it is documented. When you read source=GPS you can be pretty sure that you understand what it means.

features and the whole of the Key:source page. While GPS isn't
specifically mentioned anywhere that I can see, source=GPS is
clearly a more detailed use than source=survey which could be "or
other physical survey" (Map Features). I personally don't bother

Then use:

source=survey
survey=gps
gps=model/device.

Simply stating GPS is no better than stating survey because you don't
know what type of GPS was used.

It doesn't tell you about anything that would affect the GPS signal on that particular day, thus is a waste of time.

Also the source tag is a bit useless once several people have been along a street and verified it, which is why I think that it should be put on to the changeset instead.

As you all can see from Tagwatch there are many variations on a
theme:
http://tagwatch.stoecker.eu/Great_britain/En/ignored_source.html

Doesn't mean things shouldn't be made consistent where possible.

Things that are important will become consistent through usage. The source tag is not an important tag, it is a freeform tag. The items on the map features page just give some ideas of the values that you can use.

Shaun

P.S. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, however there aren't enough hours in the day to be able to make tags that are absolutely perfect and get everyone using them all consistently. You just need people to start using them. Then when things break you can fix the tagging of the individual items.