2009/9/24 Shaun McDonald <sh...@shaunmcdonald.me.uk>:
> It does not matter if it is documented. When you read source=GPS you can be
> pretty sure that you understand what it means.

In this case survey and gps are synomonous, also I can't verify a GPS
was in fact used if people move the way due to aerial imagery etc so
it may not be a verifiable tag.

> Also the source tag is a bit useless once several people have been along a
> street and verified it, which is why I think that it should be put on to the
> changeset instead.

So why not use survey, since that would most likely be the most accurate.

> Things that are important will become consistent through usage. The source
> tag is not an important tag, it is a freeform tag. The items on the map
> features page just give some ideas of the values that you can use.

If consistency is let lapse in one area it will go into other areas, I
could use the same logic for slightly more important tags and state
it's a free form tag and so on up the chain till I start doing my own
custom set of highway tags.

> P.S. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, however there aren't enough hours in the
> day to be able to make tags that are absolutely perfect and get everyone
> using them all consistently. You just need people to start using them. Then
> when things break you can fix the tagging of the individual items.

Unless you want to go to significant effort thaere is no point stating
gps over survey. In fact stating GPS could be slightly misleading, you
have no idea what type of gps was used, any additional techniques to
improve from the talk-au list:

gps_chip=antaris/sirfstar3/mediatek/trimble/
gps_model=
hdop=
pdop=
(precision would be some rough figure for the track, i wouldn't want to see
them on each single node)

Unless all the above is present you don't have precision, or going a
step further without surveyor type equipment you aren't going to get
accuracy anyway.