On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 5:38 PM, Dave F. <dave...@madasafish.com> wrote:

> You see, this is where I get /really /confused
>
> I see no reference to 'todo' or 'continue' in the general OSM wiki.
> In the Groundtruth wiki page they're highlighted red, saying there there
> no reference page.

If you think there is a need, write it yourself. there is no boss, no
president or whatsoever telling you what to do. You are free to do what you
want as long as you don't step on someone else toes. then they will revert
it ....

> I'm repeatedly told "don't tag for the renderers"

+1

> Yet it appears in this case the renderers are telling the mappers what
> to do.

reality is we all do since the renderer use a set of well established
rules. but osm contains many tags not rendered. and they will never be. but
other applications will use them.

The previous post implies these tags will only work in Groundtruth renders.

> What am I not understanding?

crowd sourcing is anarchy and freedom. but only if things are done a certain
way it will be useful and it will be used.

> At the moment it looks like the left hand is deliberately not
> telling the right what is going on.
>
>  I guess this happens to everyone at some time.

> I fully support the endeavours of OSM but the hierarchical stature of it
> leaves me baffled at the moment.

it's a great project. it moves in directions no one can predict. hopefully
develops into something great. definitely nothing we have seen before. if
it's too much freedom and chaos for some, bad luck ;-) if you are interested
in something go for it and find others doing the same.

> Oh, & Liz, if you're reading. please don't post to tell me some of the
> 'regulars' have anarchy symbols on the blog page as if that some how
> makes it all OK.
>
> really it is OK. if you don't like it do it in a better way.

> I hope you can all show me the light.

If you have specific interest, then work on it. others will work on it if
they see the value. first time when I read about osm all areas I knew where
blank and I considered a useless attempt. a few month later there was
something to build on and it turned out as a lot of fun. sometimes I add a
new type of POI someone posted about just for testing in an area and
suddenly others do the same. it's unpredictable and an experiment and it
works