John Smith wrote:
> 2009/9/28 Dave F. <dave...@madasafish.com>:
>

>> The database on its own is useless. It needs to be represented in some
>> manner such as a visual map. To tag randomly ie 'tag whatever you want &
>> let the renderers sort it out' seems illogical & counter productive.
>>

> It's more of a case of converting the real world into a database
> format that can then be rendered, or used some how by software.

Hi John

Isn't that what I said in the first sentence?
> However there is a fine line about tagging what you see and tagging
> what you expect to see on a map. The rendering software should
> implement your expectations, you shouldn't have to do anything
> specifically for one piece of software so your expectations are met.

I'm not saying we should bend over backwards in our tagging to ensure it
will immediately render in all the different rendering flavours, but to
tag without /any/ consideration for multitude of uses OSM could be used
for is, I think, lazy, selfish & bordering on the arrogant.

I mentioned this Source tag before: "GPS (drove down there by mistake)"
How, & why, would a renderer be expected to spend time incorporating
this & the many like it, that, not surprisingly , have a count of only 1?

Cheers
Dave F.