2009/9/29 Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <ava...@gmail.com>

> > I'm not sure what the state of the User Experience Working Group is, but
> I'd
> > be happy to join and help with this, if people think it's a good idea.
> > (Personally, I think the scope for OSM to be a provider of linked-data
> POIs
> > is huge, but I'll admit it's a bit of a departure from making maps).
>
> A more direct way to do it *now* is to suggest specific improvements
> by filing bugs on http://trac.openstreetmap.org under the website
> component.

Okay, will do. I'm always a bit shy about submitting improvement ideas as
bugs (as it feels like asking someone else to do the work, rather than
offering to help), but I guess it helps to keep it all in one place.

> I've fixed up a few things about the /browse/* pages like linking to a
> new feature so that you can see nodes/ways/relations on the main map.

I noticed that recently - super cool.

> I've also added changeset comments (if they exist) to the page. Fixed
> some formatting bugs with the node/way/relation list and I have a
> pending patch (awaiting the new wiki machine) to link from tags to the
> wiki pages.

Linking the tags to the wiki is going to be a great way of joining the two
things together much more closely.  The other thing I'd like to see is being
able to browse sideways from the 'browse' pages, so that it's possible to
navigate from, say, a pub, through to other pubs nearby.  But I guess this
requires some more XAPI-like functionality to be added to the main server?

> But if you have any further specific suggestions on what to fix, or a
> manually-edited HTML mock up on how things should look please submit
> those suggestions.

Thanks, will do so.

Some ideas I had already are:

* removing the forward/back links to the way numbered one above and one
below (as these are essentially just random links)
* displaying the address in a more address-like style, perhaps also marked
up with the hCard microformat.
* showing the date that the node/way/relation was first created (rather than
just date of the last changeset).
* making wikipedia=* and website=* links more prominent, possibly with
icons.
* removing the created_by=* tag and displaying that less prominently,
perhaps with a link to the Potlatch/JOSM/etc pages on the wiki.
* adding some stats like "total length" (for open ways) or "area size" (for
closed ways).

> One thing that might be useful to flickr is
> improving the main map screen so that when you look at this:
>
>    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?way=30089216
>
> There's an optional Google Maps-like sidebar telling you what you're
> looking at with a link back to the /browse/* page.

Yeah, that'd be really good too. In fact, I think it could be made easier to
navigate from the 'Data' overlay to the /browse/* pages - the "details" link
really isn't obvious!

Frankie

--
Frankie Roberto