2009/9/29 Tom Hughes <t...@compton.nu>

Linking the tags to the wiki is going to be a great way of joining the
>> two things together much more closely.  The other thing I'd like to see
>> is being able to browse sideways from the 'browse' pages, so that it's
>> possible to navigate from, say, a pub, through to other pubs nearby.
>> But I guess this requires some more XAPI-like functionality to be added
>> to the main server?
>>

> The wiki's full of shit though, so do we really want to encourage people to
> believe all the stuff that is there...

Heh, well I guess you could argue that this might help encourage people to
make the wiki less "shit".

I also think that when clicking on an "amenity=pub" link, I'd expect to see
a list (or, say, a map) of nearby pubs, rather than a description of what a
pub is. But having both links, suitably labelled/designed, can't really
hurt.

>  * displaying the address in a more address-like style, perhaps also
>> marked up with the hCard microformat.
>>

> I'm not at all sure that we should start getting "clever" about how we
> display specific tags - to my mind we are about the data and we should be
> tag agnostic and just display the raw data and let the reader draw
> conclusions from it.
>
> Doing "clever stuff" with our data is primarily something for other people
> to do, not for us to do.

Ha, well there's a contentious statement! If that were the case, then why do
we even bother with the Mapnik/Osmarender tiles? Surely they're the ultimate
form of doing "clever" stuff with the data.

My personal view is that it's the XML view which is tag-agnostic, and that
the map and browse views are where we should be displaying the data in the
most useful, usable form possible. I think our browse pages could be as
good, if not better, than Google's "place pages" [1].

Whilst I can understand the view that OSM should only be about gathering and
maintaining the data, and that we should leave building user-friendly
'services' on top of it to other companies and organisations, I think that
we need some form of usable services (like the map, and the browse pages) in
order to show off the data and to attract people to the community.  To use
Wikipedia as an example, they seem to focus equally on providing a
well-designed, stable, fast encyclopaedia website as on providing a good
editing experience and community (despite the huge financial burden of
running all the extra servers).

Guess this is a tricky one to balance though.

>  * showing the date that the node/way/relation was first created (rather
>> than just date of the last changeset).
>>

> Certainly possible but I'm not sure how much value it has.

Mainly I was thinking that it helps to give some idea of how 'stable' the
way is (how long it's been around). But I'll agree that it's not the most
important value in the world.

>  * making wikipedia=* and website=* links more prominent, possibly with
>> icons.
>>

> I think this comes under "clever" rendering again.

The cleverer the better, in my books... :-)

* adding some stats like "total length" (for open ways) or "area size"
> (for closed ways).

Relatively expensive for us to compute though so we would need to be a bit
> careful with larger/more complicated objects.

Guess we could limit it to ways with less than X number of nodes. Or figure
out a neat way of caching it.

Frankie

[1]
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/09/place-pages-for-google-maps-there-are.html