On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 4:24 AM, Russ Nelson <nel...@crynwr.com> wrote:
> Matt Amos writes:
>  > forcing all mappers, editors and renderers to support it?
>
> Why do people keep saying that I want to use force?  From where do
> they get this idea?  Have I ever suggested the use of force?  Gun,
> knife, sword, empty hand?  Rejection of ill-formed tags at the API?
> Please, quote me on it if you think I have.
>
>  > if mappers tag the way they feel is best and the tool authors (i.e:
>  > nonames layer) consume the tags in the way they feel is best then the
>  > two will converge,
>
> Let me propose an alternative course of events which is less
> desirable:
>
> Anyone who asks how to mark a road as having no name is told that
> there is no consensus.  They might get sent to the Wiki page on it.
> That page gives no advice or too much advice.  The mapper takes no
> action.  The database has no tags, the tool authors don't implement
> any of them because the data isn't there, and the issue doesn't
> converge.
>
> I point to the +1 year age of the Noname proposal and recent
> inactivity and suggest that convergance isn't happening.
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Noname
>
> I suggest instead that in cases such as these, SteveC should bless one
> of them with his Holy Water of Antioch (and the number of the tags
> shall be 3, no more and no less).  His blessing will tip the stable
> disconvergance in one direction.

As the person whose first came up with a no-names map for London
(well, actually it was a named map of London, turned into a nonames
map on SteveC's suggestion), I have an *official leadership
announcement* to make:

There shall be no tagging of unnamed roads. It is not important. They
show up on the no-names map -- big deal -- its a mapping aid not a
holy grail of "there shall be no highlighted roads". Just deal with
it.

Right. Done.
Now anyone respecting my authority can happily continue with life.
I'll leave someone else to document the wiki with my decision.

Thanks,

Dave

PS. I have no idea who does/doesn't agree with me and I've no idea
what SteveC thinks about it.