Anthony <osm <at> inbox.org> writes:

> > Grey area is - is tracing over sat/ortphotos creation of
>derative works, or not?
>
> That's equivalent to the question of whether or not that aspect of the
> original work is copyrighted.  Tracing a copyrighted work is certainly
> copying, and copying is the key necessary condition for the creation
> of a derivative work.

There is an interesting blog post at http://www.systemed.net/blog/?p=100
Tracing a copyrighted work, is not necessarily copying. See image at
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/new-imagebank/politics/0707_obamaputin.jpg
Sure, the image itself is copyrighted. But if I say that "Hey, Obama and Putin
have shaked hands" and then the photographer says that I am violating his
copyrights I would not agree. Not even if I say that Obama is on the left and
wears blue necktie, while Putin has a black one. I may be wrong, though, this is
a strange world.