Valent Turkovic <valent.turkovic <at> gmail.com> writes:

> http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=40148
>
> what to do with OSM mappers like these guys in this post?
>
> They say that they are using Google Earth images :(

The writer does not actually say he is uploading anything to OSM.  He writes:
"for my own use, still trying to learn".  It is for sure OK to combine OSM data
with Google Earth images locally in JOSM. Tracing features from Google imagery
and uploadind the result to OSM database is another thing. It is pretty sure
that copyright does not cover things you can see on a photograph and your
interpretation. Google terms of service is unclear about if it is allowed or not
http://www.google.com/intl/en_ALL/help/terms_maps.html. But our own decision is
to follow the simple rule: If you don't know for sure that it is allowed, don't
do it.

-Jukka Rahkonen-