On Tuesday 17 November 2009 02:03:22 Russ Nelson wrote:
>  > > We have a public domain
>  > > map which we could start with.
>  >
>  > If all you're aiming for is a slightly better version of TIGER, then
>  > it was worth starting with TIGER and that's pretty much all you'll
>  > get. Oh, look, that's what happened.
>
> Oh, look, we have 99% of all roads in the US in OSM.  Can you say that
> about any other country besides the exceptional Germany and the (dare
> I say it) imported Netherlands?

Well in the Netherlands the AND import surely killed off most mapping
activity. When the import happened there was no usable aerial imaging
available. So fixing all those crooked urban streets that were really
straight was a problem. Even now only about a quarter of the country has
usable aerial imaging available. Fixing the non-road data from the import
(forests and water) which was really low quality data is completely
impossible without aerial imaging.

The most read comment after the import was: But now the map is finished. This
resulted in two years of mostly stagnation. (Except for some isolated spots.)

It's now 2 years after the import and cycleways and pedestrian ways are still
completely missing in most of the country.

I've been busy with fixing AND data around were I live and did some mapping of
empty pieces of Belgium along along the Dutch-Belgian border. Mapping in a
blank area was for sure easier and more productive than fixing the AND mess.
I can say with certainty that if the import hadn't happend I would have
mapped more of the city I live in, than I have corrected now.

--
m.v.g.,
Cartinus