On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 5:42 AM, Richard Mann
<richard.mann.westoxf...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps these mega-imports should be background data, equivalent to Yahoo
> and NPE, for people to trace off if they've got a reasonable belief in their
> current correctness, but not to be used raw?

I think the TIGER road import needed to be done as an actual import.
The reason being that all the roads are interconnected, and if I'm
working on one small section of the road network I want to be able to
connect it to the rest of the country.  There certainly could be some
improvements, especially if we "could do it all over again", but
overall I disagree with the "more harm than good" thesis.

In any case, I don't think it would have worked for the TIGER road
import, but an import procedure like that for the GPX traces would be
a possibility for some imported data.  Put the data in its own
separate tables and let people import it manually by sending the
server a bounding box.  Potlatch would then import it as those red
"locked" ways and people could check/fix the data manually before
unlocking the way.  Other editors could do something similar.

The great part is, the editor support for this is mostly already
written.  It'd require some effort to create and implement the API to
store and retrieve the data, but it seems doable.

The TIGER address data might be a good candidate for this type of treatment.

Anthony