I think this is a case where the different versions of English are not
quite the same. To me:

A ford is a crossing that is usually underwater all the time. However
the water is shallow enough that you can cross anyway, just expect to
get a bit wet.  It may be dry if the whole river dries up, or unsafe
to cross if flooding, but this is not the usual state.

A causeway is a crossing that is built up above the usual water level,
so you can usually cross dry.  This may be an embankment or concrete
slab with culverts under it for the usual water flow, or a very low
bridge/pier structure.  However, when high water comes, water is
expected to flow over the causeway as well as under it. It may or may
not still be crossable depending on flow.

A bridge is built high enough above the water that there is an
appreciable gap between it and the water level, and water is not
expected to cover it at any time. However, a structure like this that
is on a continuous series of pillars (like a pier) instead of some
sort of arch structure may still be called a causeway, even if there
is no chance of it ever flooding.

Stephen