On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 1:30 PM, Liz <ed...@billiau.net> wrote:

> we have persistent trouble with the eurocentric view of the world projected
> by
> OSM
> so when they are arguing about various terms, its important to let them
> know
> that UK English ain't what we use

Be grateful it's UK english and not US english :) There is no real solution,
if you want to have human-understandable tags, but you want them to match
your dialect. In a lot of ways, it's actually better when the word *doesn't*
match your dialect, because then you focus on the OSM-specific definition of
the word, rather than what you intuitively think the word should imply. For
example, the cycleway debate is actually easier to understand because
"cycleway" doesn't really mean anything in Australian English. If it was
"bike path", we'd have much stronger feelings about what is and isn't a bike
path.

> so i prefer *not* using causeway, because it has two distinct meanings
> whereas embankment only has one

Yes...but embankment != causeway. (A causeway is an embankment with a
road...)

Steve