>A call to get only points is certainly something we could add and it
>would certainly save quite a bit of work on the server over the normal
>map call and hence hopefully speed things up.

What would be really good, I think, to avoid conflicts is to add some API
code which refuses to add a POI if there is a POI with the same name and
"type" tags within a certain distance. It could be optional (the client
could send a flag to the server to tell it to reject duplicates) but it
would certainly open up a lot of possibilities client-side to develop easy
to use POI editing applications.

Nick