Hi

As the mapper for Burning Man, let me explain a little bit about the festival,
and how I've attempted to represent it in OSM.

But first...

Apollinaris Schoell <ascho...@gmail.com>

> should be deleted then. Burning man follows a no trace policy. as alternative
> it must be at least tagged different to disappear from maps.

Hilarious! :)

He's talking about the "Leave No Trace" ethic that guides our effort to leave a
minimal impact on the Black Rock desert environment. For a temporary city of
50,000, the cleanliness of the event is extraordinary.
[http://www.burningman.com/environment/]

As for digital traces, Burning Man very much encourages it. That's the guiding
principle for the Burning Man Earth project, we collectively collect hundreds
of gigabytes of data at the event. [http://earth.burningman.com/
http://www.slideshare.net/mikel_maron/burning-man-earth-at-web-20-expo-presentation].
 As for the EFF criticism, I suggest reading Burning Man's response on the
complexity of the issue [http://blog.burningman.com/?p=4599]

OK!

So the Burning Man event itself is open to the public for one week. There's
approximately 1 month set up prior, and 1 month tear down. The rest of the
year, nothing much happens in that geographic location at all.

Each year, the event moves slightly to a different position, to minimize the
impact on the desert. That's why you see two similar looking city layouts,
slightly offset.

Despite being physically gone, the importance of the city remains all year
long, pretty much up until the time the city starts reconstruction in July. And
even beyond that, the layout retains importance as geographic context to
photos, videos, memories. If you look at the flickr map, the background map
depends on whether the photo was taken in 2008 or 2009.
[http://www.aaronland.info/weblog/2009/09/18/fivethings/#burningman]

THENWHAT?

So that's the situation. I decided to represent the temporality by adding
"start_date" and "end_date" tags to the 2008 data, one of the suggestions of
historic mapper Frankie Roberto
[http://www.slideshare.net/frankieroberto/mapp-history-on-open-street-map]. The
start_date was the start_date of the event in 2008, and the end_date was the
day before the opening of the 2009 event. I haven't yet added start_date and
end_date tags to 2009 data.

For example .. http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/290073903

I realize it's not perfect, but I think trying to represent both the physical
presence, and temporal relevance of this data, in a combination of more than
two tags, would have just been overly complex. Open to suggestions though.

Of course, we now have a map with data shown past the end_date for the 2008
event. The most obvious option is tuning the renderers to data past it's end
date. There's downsides to that .. larger planet size, increased complexity in
osm2pgsql/mapnik style rules. Another option is a seperate project more tuned
to historic data, though that certainly has it's drawbacks.

In the mean time, Burning Man is such an isolated place and event, I think it's
a good place to continue to experiement with these problems. So if it's all to
same to you .. don't delete the Man! As Aaron said in his post, there's another
year before we need to figure out what to do!

Dave F. <dave...@madasafish.com>
> As I was considering doing a similar thing for Glastonbury, I was
> wondering what the consensus on mapping temporary (but regular) structures?

I guess Glastonbury has a very similar circumstance to Burning Man. I don't
think there's consensus, but happy to keep discussing the possibilities.

Mikel