Richard Mann wrote:
>then yes they probably will get converted into tags on the road, just as
>soon as that renders properly. Rendering gain trumps notional information
>loss. The Danes are just ahead of the curve.

I think they have been too eager to discourage drawing the cycleways
separately. The national officials here are allegedly constructing a
database for a online routing service for cycling and they have concluded
that the information can not be described with sufficient detail for
very accurate routing "as tags on the roads". Other authorities already
made such a service available for the capital region, but now they wan't
to expand it to cover the whole country. (Sorry, the document was only in
Finnish).

Just try describing this intersection (which isn't that complex, even)
solely with tags on the "proper" roads: (make sure you have the bicycle
layer visible, if the link gets truncated)

http://elanor.mine.nu/daeron/kartat.php?zoom=17&lat=60.20853&lon=24.94616&layers=0B000000000

Consider especially a cyclist arriving from the south on the eastern
cycle track, and how to guide them towards other directions... As most
of those are shared use tracks, also think how a wheelchair user/
visually impaired user gets as good instructions as possible.

It would have been very sufficient in the beginning to add cycleway=track
only on the roads, but as the level of detail has increased, removing the
later added highway=cycleway ways would be outright destructive.

Additionally, I feel a point that hasn't been mentioned here, for only
expanding the area covered with separate highway=cycleway ways, is that
the transitions from cycleway=track to a highway=cycleway next to and
along the road either introduces a nonexistant 90 degree curve (or two)
away from the road centerline, or where the cycleway then continues away
from the road at a shallow angle, the highway=cycleway way starts at an
incorrect location. "Keeps straight things straight".

Linking the cycle track to the road next to it could use some explicit
information; some have mentioned using relations, but wouldn't a simple
tag sidewalk=this, on the cycle track separated by a curb stone or a thin
green patch, suffice? "The nearest road segment (roughly) parallel to
this way, is the road that most would call this cycleway part of". The
same idea works with addressing; node and a tag "this belongs to the
nearby way (with this name)".

There's no support in software, yet, and I don't know if osmosis could
even reasonably find such ways, but that shouldn't be an excuse to delete
the more accurate data. It didn't take long for authors to implement
checking for Karlsruhe schema addressing, as in finding the point on the
correct road, so if it were urgently needed, someone could. And most of
the time it wouldn't even be needed, since surely a cycleway/footway few
meters from a parallel road _is_ the sidewalk, unless there's a building
in between. Only where such a cycleway is roughly midway between two
different roads and very close to both of them, one couldn't deduce it -
but they hardly could dedice between the two when mapping, either, in such
border cases.

--
Alv