2010/1/4 Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>

> what does this conclusion imply? Does it mean if you encounter a separately
> mapped cycleway and there is not (yet?) enough "significant" different tags
> for the cycleway and the street nearby (say name, ref, maxspeed, width,
> surface, lanes are the same, the same turning restrictions apply, ...), you
> will delete the way in favour of a simple cycleway=track? IMHO you will
> nearly always find differences in detail, and we might be discussing about
> which differences meet your significance criteria, but I'd prefer not to...

Just rewind a bit; in the start of this thread, I cited a guideline
developed on talk-dk to aid the choice between separate and tagged
cycle-tracks/lanes on a street with the aim of getting the best map
description in the end. In the following discussions, I have tried to
outline why this guideline did not end up saying: "always micromap
everything".
As for all other mapping, some judgement still needs to be  left to the
actual mapper, such as what is "significant".

My conclusion simply implies that I do believe the community would benefit
from such a guideline.

Such a  guideline can not tell people when to delete/convert/alter existing
data - just describe a "best practice" on how to map for the best end
result.
I would certainly think twice and carefully before I converted an existing
separate cycleway to cycleway=track/lane, just as I trust that you would
always think twice and carefully before you fragmented a properly tagged
cycleway=track/lane into separate ways.

I'm not saying that it is impossible to enter all the details using just one
> way (as long as they stay strictly parallel or in case you don't care for
> positional / form detail), but there's a long way to go (currently there are
> no solutions or

Well, I already admitted that it is not possible to represent all of the
properties of the real world in the OSM description. Neither with extreme
micromapping, macro/metamapping or combinations. But I have tried to show
that micromapping streets into fragments also leads to loss of information,
and why I think that in some cases this loss is more severe than with
metamapping.

Our map will always be "wrong" in some respects. Live with it, but be aware
of it. Only then will you be able to evaluate implementations properly.

Civilingeniør ph.d. Claus Hindsgaul
Edvard Thomsens Vej 19, 5. th
DK-2300 KBH S