In England the work of what our colonial brothers and sisters on the paranoid
side of the Atlantic call a 'public notary' is one of the things done by a
'solicitor' - whereas over there a 'solicitor' is more likely to be working in
the less salubrious parts of town and may need the services of an 'attorney'
(aka 'lawyer'). Of course, it is not entirely unknown for an 'attorney' to use
the services of a 'solicitor' - which may or may not be legal, according to the
jurisdiction. Whereas in England there is nothing dubious about a 'lawyer'
employing a 'solicitor' - or even a 'barrister' ... But maybe that's enough ...

PS. In the 1960s in order to get my then fiancée a US visa I had to swear an
oath (that we would marry at a given time and place) in front of a 'public
notary' in the USA and she had to do likewise in front of a 'solicitor' in
England. Which produced a letter from the US Immigration & Naturalisation
Service allowing her entry into the land of the free on condition that (and I
quote) "the marriage is consummated prior to entry into the United States of
America". Those were the days when a "body scan" on entry to the USA was a
really serious matter (;>) ...

Mike Harris