Am 06.01.2010 15:41, schrieb Valent Turkovic:
> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 6:21 PM, Ulf Lamping<ulf.lamp...@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>> I'm not against amenity=notary, but it really has to be used more often ...
>
> I didn't use it BECAUSE it is not listed as "legal" POI on OSM wiki.
> Am I doing it wrong? I didn't understand that people just use keys
> that they want no matter it there aren't listed in OSM features list
> on Wiki...

"Wrong" and "legal" are such hard words ;-)

First and foremost: You can tag what you like.

If there's "no such thing" in the Map Features and a search in the wiki
proposals also provides no good matching alternative, it's a lot better
to tag something "in your own tag words" than not map it at all.

But please don't expect that it will be rendered anytime soon :-)

Obviously, it's a good idea that there's a certain agreement among
mappers to tag common things in the same way, so software like
renderers, routers have a chance to do their job. That's the reason why
looking in the wiki first is a good idea.

Anyway, please read the start of the map features page, which sums up
this topic probably better than I can do.

Regards, ULFL