Hey folks,

first of all I'll have to apologize my bad english.
I also hope that this is the right place for my question.

I'm playing around with pgRouting and OSM - mainly in the north of
Germany. (Schleswig-Holstein / Hamburg)
I came across some annoying issues.
There are several islands that can only be reached by ferry or train.
So I filtered tags like railway=rail, route=ferry in combination with
motorway=yes (For the germans: you all should know the Hindenburdamm to
the island Sylt).
The first thing that is quite wrong is that streets are connected to
railroads the whole way long. In case of Sylt you exactly have one ramp
in Niebuell and another in Westerland (Sylt). In between you have to go
pickapack. By the way, it's the same problem with the ferries.

So, as these kinds of transports' main purpose is "replacing" highways,
they should be regardes AS highways.

So what about tags like

highway = trailer_railway
highway = trailer_ferry

we then could connect them to streets as if they were highways.

Regards

PiMapper