Am 15.01.2010 15:43, schrieb Carsten Moeller:
> Hey folks,
>
> first of all I'll have to apologize my bad english.
> I also hope that this is the right place for my question.
>
> I'm playing around with pgRouting and OSM - mainly in the north of
> Germany. (Schleswig-Holstein / Hamburg)
> I came across some annoying issues.
> There are several islands that can only be reached by ferry or train.
> So I filtered tags like railway=rail, route=ferry in combination with
> motorway=yes (For the germans: you all should know the Hindenburdamm to
> the island Sylt).
> The first thing that is quite wrong is that streets are connected to
> railroads the whole way long. In case of Sylt you exactly have one ramp
> in Niebuell and another in Westerland (Sylt). In between you have to go
> pickapack. By the way, it's the same problem with the ferries.
>
> So, as these kinds of transports' main purpose is "replacing" highways,
> they should be regardes AS highways.
>
> So what about tags like
>
> highway = trailer_railway
> highway = trailer_ferry
>
> we then could connect them to streets as if they were highways.

Just yesterday I've collected infos about a more general approach to
this. However, I've focussed on the terminals and not on the way between
them.

The problem: This stuff is also available for "long distance" (e.g.
overnight) travel from north to south europe with varying routes, so
simply using highway=trailer_railway probably won't work well here.
Maybe better using a relation for this?

I've appended my first ideas for a proposal page.

Regards, ULFL

motorail

Regular transportation of car/motorcycle "packed" on a train and travels
to the destination.
The driver travels together with it's vehicle and may need to stay
inside the vehicle or travels in a normal (or sleeping) train waggon.

Both short term (e.g. through the channel tunnel) and long term (e.g.
overnight from Hamburg to Vienna) travels are common.

This is *not* for plain car transportation, e.g. delivering a newly
build car from the manufacturer to it's a customer.

What to tag:
The specific place to "board the train".

Suggested tag:
amenity=motorail_terminal (on node or area)
name=* (e.g. Autozug Terminal München-Ost)
operator=* (e.g. Deutsch Bahn AG)

Clarify:
Also tag route/destinations? Maybe using relations?

See Also
amenity=ferry_terminal

Weblinks
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorail