On 01/-10/-28163 08:59 PM, Maarten Deen wrote:
> John Smith wrote:
>> Anyone feel like promoting OSM?
>
> Has been done by Stefan de Konink. Reply from the CEO of Nav4All:
> "OSM has been looked at but is no solution because there is no full
> coverage". Stefan asked if Nav4All would cease activities, the reply was
> "we are still negotiating with other parties".

Even if promoting to the company did not work, it might still be worth
promoting OSM in the media coverage / blogs of the Nav4All shutdown as a
reason why it is important to have free and open map data to prevent
anti-competitive activities by a few large companies.

Skobbler seems to have been in a similar situation that has also been
pressured out of (or wasn't able to pay for) a NavTeq license, but
instead did choose to swap to OpenStreetMap.

It will be interesting to see how the various small and independent
navigation companies will react to that all the large map data providers
are now locked in to companies mainly selling end user devices and as it
seems increasingly willing to use this to force out competition in the
nav market to cross subsidize their actual business else where.
Hopefully OpenStreetMap will be seen as an alternative by them and
create great new apps on top of OSM, so that in return more people will
see the benefit of contributing to OSM.

Kai