The problem with your analysis is pretty simple - maybe those people left
because the site was crap, not because they inherently don't like adding more
than 10 things. Maybe if we make it better, they will add a lot more.

On Feb 21, 2010, at 3:01 PM, Apollinaris Schoell wrote:
> Instead of whining about the good and and and the ugly of osm.org and
> Potlatch and speculating some stats who is contributing to osm
>
> # Planet + daily diff from 2010-02-20
> total users, with > 0 objects in a planet file: 66949
> total users, with > 10 objects in a planet file: 42450
>
> # North America extract from Nov 2009
> total users, with > 0 objects: 8043
> total users, with > 10 objects: 4723
>
> # Germany from Geofabrik
> total users, with > 0 objects: 24172
> total users, with > 10 objects: 16421
>
> users with less than 10 objects are probably not active anymore and their
> contributions have been reworked or they haven't done anything useful at all.
> an even stricter user count quoted from recent talk
> 8173 as of the beginning of the month, I think.
> See http://www.flickr.com/photos/itoworld/4360166105
>
> Don't have the total number of users but remember it was > 130k long time back
>
> Now my speculations.
> 1/3 -1/2 of users with an account are present in planet
> 2/3 of active users contributed more than the Potlatch live mode error in
> their first and last edits
> the stricter definition of active users reduces these numbers to 1/8
> +1/3 of active users in germany
>
> Except for germany I would say
> Osm contributions is still a project for geeks and this will not change
> anytime soon.

That's totally moronic.

> OSB or other bug entry systems for non mappers are pointless until the
> experienced user base is big enough to be willing to work on bugs rather
> their own interests.

No, we need to keep innovating not living in 1991.

> OSB is really cool idea but definitely lacks 2 features
> - add pictures, now all smart-phones have gps and camera.  a pic will tell
> more than any description. this is easy for anyone to take pics of turn
> restrictions, speed limits, all kinds of POI. I use Josm with geotagged pics
> and this is better than anything else and much faster than notebooks, walking
> papers …
> - no contact info. as a mapper it's not possible to verify and ask for more
> details. sure anonymous bugs should be allowed but many people are willing to
> share their contact email and will love the idea to get points for a certain
> number of bugs, or a voting system ala amazon reviews might attract non
> mappers.

Yours &c.

Steve