Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> Lar Kiesel wrote:
>
>> I was the culprit who did the user lkrevert revert to user NE2 change set of
>> Columbia, SC, US.
>>

> Thank you for finally coming forward and explaining.
>

>> The reasons for the revert was because NE2 had changed many segments  of SC
>> state highway ref tags from “SC xx” to “xx” that I had added.  This is
>> counter to what the US highway wiki states, and there are good reasons for
>> keeping the “SC”  in SC , which I don't want to get into here.   I was not
>> offered any explanation why my edits were changed.
>>

> The wiki is so self-contradictory that I'm sure it does state that in
> one place, and the opposite in another place. Every time I've tried to
> get a discussion going on improving this, there's been no interest.
> I believe I only changed those routes I was making other changes to.
> (By the way, I omit the state for the same reason we don't see "UK A1"
> - it's clear what's meant by a simple alphanumeric designation.)

Numbered highways are used in the USA for Federal highways (with a US
prefix), State highways (prefixed by the state abbreviation), and some
rural County roads (usually prefixed by the word "County", rather than
the name of the county).  If you tag a roadway with only the suffix, it
isn't obvious which one of these is meant.