That doesn't help in this case: for example a US highway crosses multiple states, but is always assigned the same shield.    And there is nothing in standard tagging (that I remember) to distinguish a county from state road - I follow the general recommendation that US=primary, state=secondary, most major county roads=tertiary.   Those in other regions may promote the small roads based on lane count, max speed, etc.
-------------- Original message from John Smith <deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com>: --------------