Hi folks,

Regarding Flash development with OpenSource tools:

On Vie 12 Mar 2010, jamesmikedup...@googlemail.com wrote:
> I think the issue with flash is not the software, but the runtime.
> [...]
> I am going to try and use this :
> ActionScript 2 to Flash (SWF) compiler
> http://www.mtasc.org/

mtasc is great (especially in combination with swfmill ), a super fast
ActionScript 1.0/2.0 compiler, and permits a workflow with Makefiles (and
vim ;-) ).
Sorry, but with the Adobe tools I turn into an aggressive Taliban over time,
thousands of mouse clicks until you get what you want.

The problem with mtasc is, that it is not under active development anymore,
now the new baby's called haxe ( http://haxe.org/ ).

Haxe is a JavaScript-like language, supports AS3 and compiles to Flash or PHP,
to name a few. The 3D-Flash OpenSource community is using haxe a lot.
I don't know the haxe approach regarding GUI or app widgets.

> And use the gnash runtime.

I think it is a good idea to generate gnash-compatible Flash apps, for example
to support whatever embedded system/ smartphone with a powerful OS.
gnash seems not to be very active, but it is quite feature-complete.

That Potlatch 2 is based on Adobe Flex is a pity in my opinion, but well.

Cheers,

Jochen