On 30 March 2010 02:36, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <ava...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it legal to?
>
>  * Use it in JOSM: Yes
>  * Edit data based on it: Yes
>  * Upload it to the OSM servers: No
>
>  JOSM has the capability to use any server you want (or none at all),
> not all servers are run at *.openstreetmap.org.

I didn't think of that. I know one could save it as .osm and then feed it
into a renderer or other converting script.

> But really, don't send people hate mail just because they enable users
> to do something non-free with OSM tools. I'm sure the FSF doesn't send
> people who write non-free programs with Emacs hate mail :)

I think the comment he has put about hate mail is really bad though, it
makes OSM out to be a bad project/community even though it created JOSM.
Would it really hurt him to put a notice about copyright to say check out
the Google license if you make data from the maps and it is not suitable to
upload to OSM.

Hmm, I suppose if you do click the "upload to OSM" button then you need a
username & password, at which point you look at what OSM is (and I think a
comment about acceptable data is given near registration?). I was feeling
the button was too easy to use, because my password is saved and I never get
prompted to have an account.

--
Gregory
o...@livingwithdragons.com