Ban bots!!!!!!!!one!!!
I don't really like how they run on the whole world, and not even on a
country level. Why are they just editing one node here and there, it could
make more programmic sense to download an appropriate-sized area, work
through it (doing what ever checks these bots deem important) and then
upload the 'corrections' for that area. This certainly makes it easier if
people implement a bots=no on areas to flag that bots should not mess with
their turf.

On 7 April 2010 13:15, andrzej zaborowski <balr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7 April 2010 21:50, Valent Turkovic <valent.turko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 10:41:22 +0200, Frank Sautter wrote:
> >
> >> maybe this service could also be implemented on the openstreetmap.org
> >> website, as the ito osmmapper is frequently offline (as it is at the
> >> moment)
> >
> > I agree we shouldn't depend on 3rd party service for such important
> > feature like watching for malicious activity.
> >
> > If other bots implement "bot=yes" tag then it would be trivial to filter
> > them, right?
>
> I'm using bot=yes on some bigger, bot-like, edits often.
>

> > But still ideal situation is that bots also use much smaller areas for
> > edits so that you see if some bot has changed something in your area of
> > interest, right?
>
> That would be good but on the other hand lots of very similar changes
> should be grouped together in one changeset for convenience, if our
> tools can't cope with it then let's fix the tools.  Otherwise you
> might get 10k changesets in on run, each changing a single node, just
> for the sake of not generating too big bboxes.
>
> The ideal situation would be having infinite processing power etc. :)
>
> But with the existing limitations, I think the "show bot edits" check
> boxes is a fair approximation.  Frederik said it wouldn't be a
> complete solution to the problem of easy monitoring changes in your
> area, I think, because sometimes the bot edit is just the one you're
> interested in.  But it is a nice feature if we don't claim that it's a
> solution to this problem.  It would be a nice feature on its own.
>
> On a different note, Frederik, you said you wouldn't put the "history"
> tab on the website and didn't think it was a good thing.  Is that
> precisely because of the bboxes problem (i.e. that the edit needs not
> intersect the current view, just its bbox), or is there another reason
> you said that?
>
> Cheers

Gregory
o...@livingwithdragons.com