Hi all,

Let me tell some news about "what the hell is going on" in russian OSM
community (wiki+forum).

First, there's some strange voting on wiki. http://tinyurl.com/y8etzgy
It's about mapping military objects. The strange tings are that it
didn't have proper RFC period, one of the things it proposes is
"delete all the military fom OSM database", and that thing has ~50% of
votes. Strange votes, copypasting a large portion of text.

Also, there's a connected forum thread (http://tinyurl.com/yeee4rd,
50+ pages), that show some more details. First, there are different
readings of the law, if it is illegal to map such objects in OSM.
Second, those strange votes come from PocetGis users community (a
proprietary traffic-jam-aware software for WinCE, that uses OSM data),
which had a "solidarity vote on the problem", when the lead developer
asked everyone "please vote thsi way for our project to live".
(http://tinyurl.com/ycyqzp4). Also, they had an illustrated HOWTO on
registering and voting in OSM wiki. (http://tinyurl.com/y8hlwx8)

There are at least two changeset that remove "landuse=military" tag
from militery objects for now.
There will be more, if they will formally win.

Also, they (vctos, the lead developer) started some strange topics on
"What is in OSM? Democracy or anarchy? Let here be our democracy". He
says that now the community is controlled by a number of hackers and
wants a voting on strict rules and positions, who will do what.
Seemingly, to be the key person in osm-ru (http://tinyurl.com/ya4tjcc)

If there's somebody who can stop that madness, please do it. Or at
least vote in that voting.

--
Komяpa aka Darafei Praliaskouski
http://osm.komzpa.net xmpp:m...@komzpa.net mailto:m...@komzpa.net