It might be worth looking at Maperitive, its new, in beta but does some very
nice things like export bit map and a SVG export command is planned.

The really nice thing is though that since it can work with either a local
file (save an OSM file from JOSM) or on the web linked to the OSM database
you get a lot more control over what is rendered and how it is rendered
since the processing is done locally.  So here in Canada I have it
displaying the street names in French in a bilingual region.

If it can be linked to the Garmins then you get control over which area you
want, and just the area you want, at what level of detail and which brand of
coffee shops you're most interested in.

Cheerio John