Thank you Liz for sharing this!

I am in no way interested in the discussion about russians, sovjet maps, and
what should be on or off, but the unclejoe links you pasted are very nice,
simply from a historic point of view and they where completely new to me.

Being a BSc Cartographer myself, I hadn't heard about that piece of history
and the tremendous effort spend by the Russians to create these maps, it is
a real eye-opener and (without judging about the reasons why these maps
where created) a master-piece regarding mapping, planning and integrating
"data" into a global system!

> a claim which has been thoroughly disputed by map scholars reviewing the
> actual maps
> http://images.jomidav.com/sovietmaps/unclejoe1.pdf
> and
> http://images.jomidav.com/sovietmaps/unclejoe2.pdf
>

> Checked Russian maps of Australia available on the internet and most
> disappointed. One gold mining area in low resolution only.

Milo van der Linden
Open Source Geospatial consultant

dogodigi - Geospatial solutions
Beukenlaan 2