On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 8:59 AM, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamp...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> A lot of the points in this thread was already discussed by others and me
> around 2009. The whole license (change) discussion in 2009 (to my
> understanding) boiled down to: Become member of the OSMF or shut up and
> follow our judgement.

I doubt anyone involved in the licensing intended that to be the
outcome of the discussion. There are certain things (like the legal
advice received from the OSMF lawyers) that could be seen as not being
up for debate, but membership of the OSMF is only required for a very
few specific things like voting to appoint the foundation board.

> See what our (IMHO not so) respectful OSMF chairman and project founder
> Steve C had to say about license (working group) critics in December 2009:
>
> http://fakestevec.blogspot.com/2009/12/fable.html

That wasn't written by Steve Coast, the "fake" blog is written by
other people and is supposed to be satirical, but in this case is
clearly attacking other members of the community. One of the
characters is clearly based on you. I don't find it very funny or
constructive.

Steve Coast actually posts at the following blogs:
http://www.opengeodata.org/ (with others)
http://blog.stevecoast.com/

> I had hoped that after the dust settled a bit the OSMF learned from these
> discussions, but reading the above legal talk thread I still see the same
> elitist behaviour from the "inner circle" as before - very sad to see :-(

It's a shame that you feel there's an "inner circle". It's worth
bearing in mind that when a project grows to be more than 30-40 people
that not everyone can be involved in everything all the time (and we
have around 30-40 *thousand* people involved now). But there's no
intention to create an inner circle or, by corrollary, exclude other
people. What could we (you/me/LWG) do to make this more inclusive?

See also http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Working_Group_Minutes if
you are interested in seeing what's been involved in the LWG so far.

Cheers,
Andy