On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ęvar Arnfjörš Bjarmason wrote:
>>
>> That doesn't just go for the LWG, it seems that a lot of the people
>> involved in the OSMF prefer to do things via conference calls. The
>> calls aren't recorded and published (that I've seen)
>
> Recording and making public such conversations would mean that everyone
> would have to choose their words carefully in order to minimise the danger
> of being quoted out-of-context by people with a limited understanding of
> English (wo might, for example, not immediately understand the humour in
> certain expressions). It would also discourage straight talk in many cases
> (people would say "someone has contacted me about this-and-that" instead of
> saying who that someone was, and so on).
>
> The telephone calls are already, as you say yourself, time-consuming and
> thus not for everybody; they are also, if I may add from my tiny little
> personal exposure, tedious and not something one likes to do.
>
> Your suggestions would make the telephone calls even more tedious, more time
> consuming, and rob them of the last bit of fun (in the form of a humourous
> remark here and there). It would be even harder to find people doing the
> work if you expect that from them.

I'm not sure I've heard any of the LWG members have any fun whatsoever
on their calls!

Further to what Frederik has said, there's a couple more points that
are important. The OSMF receives legal advice on matters relating to
the license change, and as far as I'm aware they are forbidden from
making the legal advice public. If I recall correctly there was a
problem about a year ago where the legal advice was publicly quoted
and it had to be redacted from the mailing lists. Such is the nature
of legal advice.

I would also expect there to be lots of other confidential matters
discussed (such as contacting people external to the project) that
again can't be publicly broadcast without heavy editing of any
recording. I'm sure the Data Working Group also has similar problems
of confidentiality when there are copyright accusations being dealt
with - some things just can't be recorded and broadcast publicly.

I'm sure if there are specific things from the minutes that you'd like
elaboration on, the LWG members will do their best to try to answer
your questions. I think the LWG should be applauded for providing such
up-to-date minutes for all of their regular meetings, it shows some
insight into their dedication to doing things well.

Cheers,
Andy