On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 02:26:57AM +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Simon Ward wrote:
> >Is it really that bad to ask that the contributor terms require any new
> >licence to be in the same spirit as the ODbL + DbCL or other share alike
> >licenses?
>
> I'm not saying it is "bad", I'm just saying that nobody has ever
> made an effort to find out what "spirit" most of the contributors
> would prefer; the fact alone that they are willing to participate in
> a SA project does not say anything.

As discussed previously by others, any poll without real consequences
invariably affects how one answers, and any determination of spirit is
subjective at best.

We need to proceed with the license change, but in doing so really need
to allow more options than just a yay or nay to the ODbL.

Any decision needs to take into account:

  * Direct contributor acceptance of the licenses (ODbL and DbCL) and
    contributor terms for existing data.

  * Whether import and derivative contribution sources accept the
    licenses and contributor terms.

  * Acceptance of licenses and contributor terms for future
    contributions.

The current proposal doesn’t offer all combinations of those choices.
Having all combinations would probaly also be quite overwhelming, so I
see the advantage of a simple yes/no choice.

However, this is currently very biased towards “the LWG/OSMF knows
what’s good for you, do what they tell you”.  It should instead be: “If
you disagree with any part, say ‘no’”.  If an absolute majority agrees,
fine, let’s go ahead.

Otherwise, we need to re‐evaluate some things, get more detail on what’s
wrong so far.  Can I help the LWG?

For my part, I don’t fully agree with the contributor terms, and I
suggest we start there because they are also what I’ve seen other people
voice their dissent about.

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall