Ben Last wrote:
> the edits that we're submitting all come from one user
> (that represents NearMap) since we don't (and can't) require
> users of our site to all be registered with OSM.

Um... this is the sort of stuff that really, really needs to be discussed
first.

Whenever it has been raised in the past, the opinion of the community has
generally been that proxy edits like this are strongly discouraged. At the
very least, you need to make sure your contributor agreement is widely
discussed so that others (not least OSMF, which may be held liable for any
copyright violations on the part of your users) are happy that they are
compatible with current and future OSM licensing. (My personal opinion is
that the only circumstance under which such contributions are acceptable is
under a PD-like waiver. If you are indeed requiring that then please
disregard this message. http://www.systemeD.net/blog/?p=100 may be relevant
here.)

Previous discussions, IIRC, took place in the days before OAuth. Now that we
have OAuth on OSM there is even less reason to allow editing without an OSM
account.

cheers
Richard