On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 2:40 AM, Andy Allan <gravityst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Then mark the reasons it's not suitable. We have this same discussion
> with cycling (in fact, Peter Miller had an entire presentation on this
> issue at SOTM09 - he just suggested the wrong solution :-) ). One
> persons "unsuitable for motorcycles" is another person's fun and
> games. So if the problem is that there are steps, then mark the steps.
> If the problem is that there's a massive chasm with a log over it,
> then mark bridge=yes width=0.25m surface=log maxweight=150kg (or
> similar!). Mark the stepping stones as stepping stones.
>
> In short, mark the facts that lead you to think it's not suitable, and
> leave the judgement to the producers of the map as to what they think
> is appropriate for their particular audience.

This solution sounds appealing, but is totally impractical. Recording
the information you cite is orders of magnitude more work than
recording a simple yes/no.

It's probably too late for any useful solution to arise, but I think
it's possible to define sensible meanings for "suitable". I ride a
bike, and I'm perfectly capable of distinguishing between what's
suitable for a road bike, a hybrid, or what is really a mountain
biking path. You could easily have a scheme like:

bicycle=no
mtb=yes

Meaning, "this is not a practical way for the average cyclist to travel".

Moreover, even with all the information you suggest tagging, I
honestly don't even know what the end user would do with it all.
Something somewhere has to boil it down to a yes/no. Your GPS isn't
going to deal with it, so the logic has to be up stream. By far the
best person to make a judgment call is the person who mapped it. A
path that sounds perfectly suitable for cycling due to its tags might
turn out to be crap for all kinds of reasons: slippery roots,
blackberries, poor drainage, lots of blind corners, boardwalks with
wide gaps aligned with the tyres.

So you could end up mapping "highway=path; bicycle=yes; width=1;
surface=dirt;" in great detail, and totally miss the fact it's
unrideable.

Steve