I've been a little selective in quoting your message but I think you have
correctly identified the split.  Germany and the UK with high mapper density
are probably for the new license and dumping the older data other parts of
the world that don't have the luxury of such a high density of mappers and
rely on partnerships with government agencies etc and importing data are
finding it much more difficult.

The US at the moment is grappling of what to with the problem of the new
whatever data for 2010.  Replacing data is difficult, what do you do about
the tags?  Because of slight differences in the data points of interest can
end up on the other side of the road.  Canada's current CANVEC data
available for import is very nice, road networks complete with names and
house numbers in many places.  Starting clean is actually a very attractive
idea, you lose the traffic_lights on the map but what you have is clean.
All the roads have the correct names for example.

Historically the new world has taken European ideas and modified them to
work in a different environment.  Guns used to be made by craftsmen in
Europe but in the new world lacking the craftsmen they used an assembly line
breaking skilled work down into less skilled tasks.

The same with mapping, we don't have the problem of government sources
wanting to charge for or place restrictions on GIS data in fact one problem
that has been identified in Canada is we don't have the manpower to absorb
all the data people would like us to import.  We do have a problem with
finding enough mappers on the ground though.

I seriously think there will be a split, and it will be along the lines of
thank you OSM we are very grateful for the ideas and the software
infrastructure but in order to get a working map we need something
different.  I would prefer not to see a split but unless some one comes up
with a way to address the concerns then I think it will happen.  Perhaps one
answer might be Europe is licensed one way and the rest of the world
another?

Dunno.

Cheerio John