2010/11/16 David Murn <da...@incanberra.com.au>:

> Maybe I missed something, but when were the decisions made?

back in 2008

> That works great where youve got tiles full of lots of data, but what
> about in regional areas?  If a mapper wants to contribute data, is OSM
> not interested in that data, because the person doesnt wish to accept a
> licence?

yes, the same as before: if you want to contribute data you have to
accept the current license. Otherwise it can't work out.

> I dont think there is interest in doing that, from the powers-that-be.
> Many 'users of our data' have been expressing concerns for many months,

I think it is obvious that the license cannot be decided by the "users
of our data", but has to be decided by the contributors.

> While its great that some small parts of the world have a density of
> mappers adequate enough to map local regions extensively, in large parts
> of the world, this is simply not really practical.

I doubt this. It may take longer, but without an active community
imported data in these areas would anyway be useless.  I think you are
missing the point when you see OSM as a dumping place for imported
data. This was never the project idea and neither it should be in the
future.

cheers,
Martin