On 29/12/2010 21:13, Dave F. wrote:
On 29/12/2010 20:17, andrzej zaborowski wrote:
Hi Dave,

On 29 December 2010 21:04, Dave F.<dave...@madasafish.com>  wrote:
On 29/12/2010 17:30, andrzej zaborowski wrote:
On 29 December 2010 13:47, Dave F.<dave...@madasafish.com>    wrote:
On 23/12/2010 12:10, Laurence Penney wrote:
I've been 'exploding' several building nodes into ways,
City centres maps look so much better with polygon ways, don't they?

To encourage this practice it would be useful if the R (replicate) key in
Potlatch worked from nodes to ways. It could also copy the history.
There's no way in the current database schema to copy history from
nodes to ways.
Hi andrzej

Could you elaborate on this please?

If you mean it can't currently be done, then yes, I know, that why I was
posting the email.

If you mean it can't be implemented in the future, then that's a bit
disappointing. As OSM increases it mapping detail it would be a very useful
addition.
It could be implemented in the future but the request should not go to
Potlatch authors because the issue deeper.  So as far as I know the
workings of OSM, it'd have to wait to at least API 0.7.

Object history is attached to an object.  Currently objects are
referenced by id + object type and IDs are not unique accross types
(node, way, relation).  So the type is a property of an object, not a
property of a revision of an object.  Thus no object can go from one
type to another without losing the history.

I'm not sure if non unique ID's would be a problem as the user is selecting specific entities to copy from & to .

Lets take a node element of a hotel that's been edited 4 times.

Someones remaps it as a polygon way & copies the tags & history with the R key.

The new way entity would only have to store the id tags of the node as historic ie "this used to be a node entity with the the id of XYZ123" whilst keeping the id it was given when created.

When I mean 'historic' I mean storing it as a child node within the XML data.