On 01/09/2011 12:01 PM, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
No. highway=unsurfaced could be what's now commonly tagged as highway=track,
or highway=unclassified, or highway=bridleway. Only one of those three is a
road.

Which one were you thinking of? I count two road types in your list: highway=track and highway=unclassified. And it could be other highway=* types too.

It’s still better to use highway=road even if it turns out to be a bridleway, because highway=road is basically “we don’t know what it is, only that there’s something there; this needs to be (re-)surveyed”.

—Alex Mauer “hawke”