Alex Mauer wrote:
> Which one were you thinking of?  I count two road types in your list:
> highway=track and highway=unclassified.  And it could be other highway=*
> types too.

highway=track doesn't imply a road round here; clearly YMV.

> It’s still better to use highway=road even if it turns out to be a
> bridleway, because highway=road is basically “we don’t know what
> it is, only that there’s something there; this needs to be (re-)surveyed”.

In the UK there is absolutely no need to use highway=road. We have
high-resolution imagery (Bing) and reliable road classification data
(Ordnance Survey) for the whole of the country. You can reliably infer any
road type from these two sources, remembering too that OSM is an iterative
project and that a "best guess" with a fixme can always be improved upon.

Obviously I can't speak for (and don't really care about) your part of the
world, but I would consider a mass change of highway=unsurfaced to
highway=road in the UK as vandalism, and would take steps to revert it.

cheers
Richard