Thanks for the responses.

> walkingpapers has some overview map thingie as well
> http://www.walking-papers.org/

Yeah, walking papers is nice, but doesn't do the multi-page directory
format I'm interested in. Where's the "overview map thingie"?

>http://www.townguide.webhop.net/

Its main advantage over maposmatic seems to be the ability to focus on
certain kinds of things (pubs, for example).

> maposmatic is a good place to start:
> http://www.maposmatic.org

Yeah, this seems like the best. Obviously it only currently does
single page format, but the rendering infrastructure, user interface
etc is all there.

To be a bit clearer about what I'm talking about, picture a book of
say 200 pages, covering a very large city (eg, Melbourne, Australia
where I live - approx 4 million people spread over a ridiculously
large area). There's a street index at the back, but that's only
tangential to the maps - not the central goal. So the hard bit is
setting up a structure to impose a grid structure over the inhabited
parts of the city, rendering it all, and adding all the cross
references between pages. Oh, and then, printing and binding :)

Steve